Thread: 5-6 synchro?

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

5-6 synchro?

how the hell do you tear the synchros out of 5-6 and not 1-2, 3-4? we got a '00 T/A in at my dealership and the synchros are out of 5-6. i drove it and it refused to go into 5th or 6th gear, unless i did a rev-match.........WTF? i am intrested in buying this car and probably will if the cheap bastards cut me a deal on it becasue the interior is fucked and the tranny is bad........im just curious about this not a big deal really.

Damage to 5th is common with missed shifts. Missing 3rd and clashing 5th. This can lead to damaged fork pads then bent fork then gear jump out then broken struts. It starts out slow and escalates when poor driving habbits are not corrected. I would wager the reverse driven gear clutch teeth have also taken a dump.That damage happens with the same type of driver shift error( missing 5th-crashing reverse) .Usually goes with the same drivers as well. With the poor interior condition & the trans concerns, you can bet this car was not well kept, loved or maintained = better get a good deal on it.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird
    Damage to 5th is common with missed shifts. Missing 3rd and clashing 5th. This can lead to damaged fork pads then bent fork then gear jump out then broken struts. It starts out slow and escalates when poor driving habbits are not corrected. I would wager the reverse driven gear clutch teeth have also taken a dump.That damage happens with the same type of driver shift error( missing 5th-crashing reverse) .Usually goes with the same drivers as well. With the poor interior condition & the trans concerns, you can bet this car was not well kept, loved or maintained = better get a good deal on it.
    it looks like someone busted a nut all over the interior. the fog light is broken, the leather on the Hurst nob is worn off, the doors wont open hardley, the windshield is cracked, it has snow tires on it.........its 2000 T/A, 71000 miles on it.......and they got 8600 in it on trade. so i imagine they are going to want around 9-10 for it. and the sad part is, my job is to clean them up before they go on the lot. so i get to clean the jizz stains off the interior.....

flat black
    i dotn know about the missing fifth and catching reverse...thats litterally impossible unless you somehow managed to disable the reverse lockout....you can not go into reverse from any gear while the car is moving...between the Vehichle speed sensors and the reluctor wheel on the back of the mainshaft. the computer senses motion and will lock out reverse....the other option on your stripped gears is some one did a really bad job putting it back together... the T-56 is much harder to put back together verses say a T-5 or even a T-45...or a top loader...you have to build the T-56 in 6th gear so that you get everything lined up properly...else welll you start tearing up gears and sometimes you even find what i like to call "Park" this happens when the shift rods are mis aligned and one moves causing you to go into two gears at the same time....it locks the input,countershaft and mainshaft...nothing wil move its seized...hense "Park"

Invader If you know how a T56 works( and you obviously do not) as I do you can clearly see how reverse is crashed. There is NO reverse "lockout" on a T56 . It is only an inhibitor( able to be overcome with high shift loads).Also, the T56 interlock system will NOT allow 2 gears to be engaged at one time. There is not a "park" capability. One can break/ damage components so that it sticks in a given gear but that is not a "park". It is also possibe to be between gates - moving the stick for/ aft but not engaging a gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird
    Invader If you know how a T56 works( and you obviously do not) as I do you can clearly see how reverse is crashed. There is NO reverse "lockout" on a T56 . It is only an inhibitor( able to be overcome with high shift loads).Also, the T56 interlock system will NOT allow 2 gears to be engaged at one time. There is not a "park" capability. One can break/ damage components so that it sticks in a given gear but that is not a "park". It is also possibe to be between gates - moving the stick for/ aft but not engaging a gear.

I agree, I slamed reverse 5 or 6 times in the past and now I'm payin for it. Every other week I need to reposition my shifter to catch reverse or it will just sit and spin - suks.

Thread Information