Thread: Which tuner????

red
    01 Trans Am WS6

Question Which tuner????

LS1 edit ,HP tuner, or EFI live???

Red
    2002 T/A

I use HpTuners and I love it. Never tried the other two, though.

red
    01 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    I use HpTuners and I love it. Never tried the other two, though.

How long does it take to figure out?

Red
    2002 T/A

There are very few people around (aside from PCM engineers and tuners with years of experience) that understand every aspect of this software. My point is, if your mechanically inclined and have a basic understanding of how a fuel injection system works then it will come with time. If, however, you need help to change an air filter then I would suggest taking a fuel systems class first. This is not necessary, just a suggestion. You have to remeber this software lets you modify pretty much anything in your car's PCM. It doesn't come pre-programmed with performance tunes like handheld tuners do, but it lets you do a lot more than a handheld does. If you decide to go with a software tuner just make sure you have a laptop available and make sure you get the kit that allows you to connect to a wideband. Once again the laptop is not required, but you will only be able to modify your tune at home. This means any time you drive and log info you have to return home to make any changes. The wideband is essential and will provide you with live A/F data to ensure you do not damage your engine due to a lean condition. In time you will get most of the tuning down with help from other forum members. It just takes some trial and error. Next to a pro dyno tune this is as good as it gets. My .02

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    There are very few people around (aside from PCM engineers and tuners with years of experience) that understand every aspect of this software. My point is, if your mechanically inclined and have a basic understanding of how a fuel injection system works then it will come with time. If, however, you need help to change an air filter then I would suggest taking a fuel systems class first. This is not necessary, just a suggestion. You have to remeber this software lets you modify pretty much anything in your car's PCM. It doesn't come pre-programmed with performance tunes like handheld tuners do, but it lets you do a lot more than a handheld does. If you decide to go with a software tuner just make sure you have a laptop available and make sure you get the kit that allows you to connect to a wideband. Once again the laptop is not required, but you will only be able to modify your tune at home. This means any time you drive and log info you have to return home to make any changes. The wideband is essential and will provide you with live A/F data to ensure you do not damage your engine due to a lean condition. In time you will get most of the tuning down with help from other forum members. It just takes some trial and error. Next to a pro dyno tune this is as good as it gets. My .02
    +1!. Way to many things that can go wrong. You gotta pay attention and know wut ur doing. But if u no how engines work and good with computers, it will come over time like mentioned above. And like mentioned, this isnt for any1. Some of the biggest gearheads on this site, dont use this software. Just giving u an idea

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    +1!. Way to many things that can go wrong. You gotta pay attention and know wut ur doing. But if u no how engines work and good with computers, it will come over time like mentioned above. And like mentioned, this isnt for any1. Some of the biggest gearheads on this site, dont use this software. Just giving u an idea
    i know this is kind of off the subject, but i just had a nine clutch automatic transmission with shift kit installed. and my shift points are way off. would a professional dyno tune help this?

Red
    2002 T/A

If it's computer controlled and the PCM is responsible for the bad shifts, then yes a tune will help. If there is anything MECHANICALLY wrong with the tranny, then no a tune will not fix it.

Thread Information